Patrick Spencer Joins WCEA Board

by Patrick Spencer February 24, 2014
Thumbnail image for Patrick Spencer Joins WCEA Board

I have been asked to serve on the board of the Workers’ Compensation Education Association (WCEA). For years, the WCEA has been a strong advocate for injured workers in Colorado. The WCEA is made up of attorneys specializing in workers’ compensation law. Each attorney only represents injured workers – not insurance companies or employers. I have been a member […]

Read the full article →

Am I being watched?

by Patrick Spencer February 19, 2014
Thumbnail image for Am I being watched?

Workers compensation insurance companies and defense lawyers in Colorado often use private investigators to follow injured workers to try to catch them doing things that are inconsistent with their doctor’s restrictions. If you have filed a Colorado workers’ comp. claim, you should assume that you’re under surveillance. Investigators will follow you from your house to […]

Read the full article →

What medical information do you have to give the insurance company?

by Patrick Spencer November 2, 2011
don't sign blank medical releases

Q. “My workers’ comp insurance company is asking me to sign medical releases and has asked for a list of doctors I’ve seen, even ones I saw before my injury. Do I have to give it to them?” A client asked us: I received a packet of papers to fill out, such as the incident report, […]

Read the full article →

What’s the difference between an IME and a DIME?

by Patrick Spencer July 14, 2011
IME or DIME in Colorado

In Colorado, there are important differences between an IME, or Independent Medical Exam and a DIME, or Division Independent Medical Exam. An IME can be performed by any doctor. Either you or the insurance carrier can send you to a doctor for an IME to get additional information about things like: your condition, whether your injury is […]

Read the full article →

Are there limits on my Colorado workers’ compensation benefits?

by Patrick Spencer February 3, 2011
Thumbnail image for Are there limits on my Colorado workers’ compensation benefits?

Colorado statutes determine what benefits you will be entitled to in your Workers’ Compensation claim. Those benefits can have limits, otherwise known as “caps.” Some cash benefits have caps When you’re injured at work, you may be entitled to medical and cash benefits. But the law limits the amount of cash benefits you can receive. TTD […]

Read the full article →