Colorado Springs

Toll-Free in Colorado

Social Security Disability FAQs

If Social Security tries to cut off my disability benefits, what can I do?

You should appeal immediately.

If Social Security tries to stop your benefits, appeal immediately

Appeal your notice right away.

If you appeal within 10 days after the date of the letter notifying you that your disability benefits are being stopped, you can get your benefits continued while you appeal the decision cutting off your benefits.

You may also want to talk with an attorney about representation on your case, but you should file the appeal immediately so that you can keep your benefits going.

Keep in mind that there are two deadlines and two things to appeal when you get this type of notice:

  1. If you do not file the appeal within 10 days your benefits will stop.

  2. You have 60 days from the date of the cut-off letter to appeal and ask that the benefits be reinstated.

When your benefits are being cut off, it's usually because of a Continuing Disability Review (CDR). Read more about CDRs.



DISCLAIMER-These FAQs are a public resource for general information. These questions and answers have been prepared by Spencer & Spencer for informational purposes only and are not legal advice. No client or other reader should rely on, act on, or refrain from acting based on information contained in this website without seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice.


Our law firm handles all types of claims for Social Security Disability - Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income, children's Supplemental Security Income. We also handle appeals - to the Appeals Council and Federal Court.

If you want to speak to a lawyer in Colorado Springs about your disability case, you have several options-you can fill out our online case evaluation form, call us, or e-mail us, and a Colorado Springs attorney will evaluate your case for FREE.

We have many clients from around Southern Colorado and the Western Slope including Alamosa, Buena Vista, Denver, Castle Rock, Colorado Springs, Durango, Grand Junction, Salida, La Junta, Lamar, Monument, Pueblo, and Walsenburg.

Our attorney has helped thousands of people get the benefits they deserve. We look forward to serving you!